History of Our Church4037681945 76a205107a_m

            In 1872, a small group of women in the Cincinnati neighborhood of Camp Washington formed “The Ladies Aid Society.” The aim of this society was to found a church in Camp Washington. The cornerstone for what is now Washington United Church of Christ was laid on September 18, 1873.

Fast forward to 1957, when this Evangelical and Reformed church joined the United Church of Christ. The church continued to thrive until the 1960s, when the neighborhood population began to decline. Washington UCC was simply following the pattern of so many historic urban churches planted in the middle of declining neighborhoods that watched their congregations move to the suburbs.

In the early 1970s, with the neighborhood around the church now largely low-income, a group of Washington UCC members decided to stay and develop a new mission focus. This focus has always meant ministering with neighborhood residents, not just ministering to them.

Washington UCC’s continued existence as a worshipping congregation and a mission church is made possible by financial and volunteer support of our sister UCC churches.

 Sanctuary

 

© 2017 Washington United Church of Christ
Connected Sound - Websites for the Barbershop Community